Hammocking in Germany

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammocking in Germany

I was asked to tell something about the german hanging community. So here is my report.

In spring 2015 about 10-15 hammock interested members of a bushcraft forum organised a hammock meeting in the woods near the village Burgsinn. Wo got the permission of the owner, who is a bushcrafter too. So we met for a weekend in late april. This meeting was an eye opener! We could see and even touch and test different types of hammocks.

Here is my Hennessy Hammock with my MYOG tree table.

Nothing new to you: DD Hammocks

A peapod I didn't see before

The famous Amok Draumr
    Last edited by Mittagsfrost; 13-02-2016, 10:12. Reason: done

Konradsky's selfmade bridge hammock. Flat lay and great panorama on both sides!

In the woods of Burgsinn I met Dendronaut, the guy who runs www.dendronaut-hammocks.com.

Here you can see his KOMA. Isn't it a beauty? Perfect stitches, you can feel love to every detail. I was so impressed!
    We talked a lot about hammocking and how wonderful it feels to meet other hangers. The english speakers have their forums, but there is no german hammock forum. What a pity!

You may imagine my happiness some hours later when I talked to another guy about this topic and he said "I've created www.haengemattenforum.de a month ago."
    Before going home we all agreed to meet again in autumn. Finally we found like-minded people!

When I got home first thing was to sign in into the german hammock forum. Second thing was to take a shower

Of course we couldn't wait to autumn and met in august.

This time we choosed a camping site near Mengerschied, surrounded by trees. The best thing: we were the only guests.

Comment

The perfect location! There is a WC, a veranda with tables and benches under a big roof and a wonderful roofed fire place.

The stew was delicious!

Our lumberjack is the strongest! No axe handle can resist his unbelievable force ;-)

Some of us are ultralight hikers, the others have to carry their luggage with an handcart.

Comment

Here is an improved version of my tree table (not made by myself). It's always good to inspire other people.

The main purpose of the lantern was to find your hammock in the dark.

Konrad, one of our DIY gods, was inspired by the 90 degree hammock and made his own version. In my opinion his hammock (he named it Cocoon) is even better.

Comment

Here's the Handy Hammock! I read about it, i dreamed about it, but never got a chance to lay in it. I hope the owner didn't regret to let my try this hammock stand. It took me hours to leave :-) I even fell asleep in it. And fell in love with this tiny little thing.

Guess, what I made first when I came home! Yes, I ordered my Handy Hammock. Second thing? I took a shower.

All but one slept in hammocks ...

... but we tolerate our single ground dweller :-)

Isn't it romantically? The fire, the moon (hidden by the tree), the stars. Delicious food, a shot glass of single malt (Okay, two. May be tree, but not more!) and talks about hammocks, sewing machines, splicing, hiking and the whole universe. It was no question to meet here again in winter.

Comment

The "winter" group hang took place in november. The word winter I enclosed in quotation marks because it wasn't like winter. The lowest night temperature was about 8°C. Is it a sign of global warming?

Because high carbon dioxide emission causes the global warming we changed to carbon-neutral emission. Burning wood is carbon neutral. Here is a part of our wood stove gallery.

TreeGirl made the best pancakes ever!

La haute cuisine du bushcraft ;-)

Baking bread. Guess, how BlackBread got his nickname :-) But the second try was successful. Delicious!
            I'm looking forward to the next group hang. I think you can understand why.

Now it's your turn. Show me your pictures!

Comment

Looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks very much for sharing when with us.

Comment

Great pictures and write ups, thanks for taking the time to do it, how are you guys fixed with suppliers of hammock and bushy stuff ?

Comment

Nice photos looks like some fun was had. Some good ideas in your group that will need some looking in to. I like the 90 degrees hammock idea.

Comment

Wow, that does look so good. Love the cacoon hammock and the treeless hammock really good fun. Wish I'd been there......thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

Comment

Fantastic post and very interesting to see what is happening over on the continent

Comment

Great post and pics..........................and purely by coincidence, at the end of April last year a few of us were meeting for the first time and doing exactly the same thing at Badgells wood.
                        UKH Woodsman X & EDC.
                        HH UL Explorer.

Comment

• Mittagsfrost
                          #12.1
                          Mittagsfrost commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No conicedence. The time was ripe :-)

Good stuff. Some good gear being used there. The bridge hammock in the first pic of the second post looks very interesting.

Comment

What a fantastic descriptive post Mittagsfrost. Made for a brilliant read and loved the photos. Looks like a lovely spot with lots of different hammocks on show.

Comment

That's a great write up and some good pics. Thanks.
                            I think I'll be making myself a little table👍
                            That's a (un)healthy collection of wood stoves you have there ☺. I've been wanting a solo stove for ages as I don't like the rust on my home made ones.
                            Last edited by Meadows; 14-02-2016, 01:17.

Comment

• Mittagsfrost
                              #15.1
                              Mittagsfrost commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm glad you like my report. Here is a Youtube video showing how I made my tree table. Kahel's tree table (shown in the picture above) is less stable, but lighter and less bulky.
                              The solo stove is good, but pretty small. Would the burning chamber be bigger you wouldn't have to feed the fire permanently.
                              A buddy of mine recently bought a collaspsable chinese wood gasifier which is bigger. I'm looking forward to see it in action.