Down Vs Synthetic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down Vs Synthetic

I've been looking at Synthetic UQ's recently, so I'm Just going to throw the question out there.

Is the gap between Down and Synthetic really as great as it used to be.............?

Interested to hear peoples opinions.
    UKH Woodsman X & EDC.
    HH UL Explorer.

Down is Good but it's gotta be synthetic really being practicable.

Comment

Haven't tried a down UQ get, but I know the leap to a down sleeping bag was massive. Granted I didn't have a very good synth one to start with though so maybe not fair to compare...the down one just feels so luxurious though haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can spend £100 extra to save 200g.
        But it packs much smaller.
        --
        Gadget
        watch the things you gave your life to, broken, And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools

Comment

My first bag was a 60's feather and down sleeping bag, not sure there was actually any down in it. Now you get one of those bad boys wet you might as well sleep in soggy toilet paper.

I then only used synthetics bags, then quilts, for decades. When I got in to making gear I carried on with synthetics, like PrimaLoft and Clamshield, both top notch insulations, no doubt. However, there is a noticeable difference in the insulation properties of a good down product.

My quilts get very little abuse as they unpacked, slept in then packed away as I want to get on with the days hiking so they don't hang around long, no pun intended. As they are not exposed for long they don't really get a chance to get wet which is where a big negative side of down insulation is.

As Gadget writes, the biggest plus for me is the compression properties it has. This is why down is a clear winner for me in quilts hands down.

But if you are moving on to shells and mid layer…

Comment

Down all the way. Fits/conforms better, warmer, lighter smaller packed, lasts longer.

The down does collapse if wet (never actually managed to do that yet) but rest assured any wet insulation is a miserable situation.

I will use synthetic on top as a really accurate fit, differential etc is less important, down is still better but for a short term cheaper alternative it's OK (FWIW I prefer primaloft). For underquilts it's always down for me.

Comment

I'm with Porkchops on this. Chambers in a down quilt with a proper differentially cut quilt mean the whole quilt can conform to your body shape and provide optimum insulation. Try doing that with what is pretty much a fluffy sheet.

No doubt synthetic can work and can be somewhat shaped with darts and shaping but it will never fit the way a down quilt will.

Insulation wise climashield or primaloft are apparently equal to some lower fill power downs (I can't remember the actual number) but don't last as well and tbh I don't think there is actually as much difference when damp as we are made to believe. Especially with modern dwr fabrics helping. When soaked there is a big difference but if you've ever tried to hand wash a down bag/quilt you'll know how hard it is to truly soak down. You'd have to wear your quilt to go swimming to soak it.

If weight/pack size isn't an issue then synthetic is fine, especially as a top insulation but as a backpacker down wins every time and I've never noticed loss of loft even on a soaking multi day trip and airing for an hour or so in the sun will freshen it up a lot.

Comment

Down all the way, no question. Scotty and craig have said it all really
                The wet down thing is hugely over stated imo. How wet are these folks getting their stuff that wet?....as craig said, any modern sleeping bag or quilt takes some real effort to soak through
                And once its at that point down vs primaloft is pretty academic really, you gonna have a pretty miserable night of it

I'v had water tracking into a tent bathtub floor overnight and even that didn't fully wet my bag through. I just had a couple of cold spots that dried out during the next day

Comment

• #8.1
                  Bisley Bullet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the days before 'dry bags' and after a few river crossing, I can assure you your sleeping bag gets quite wet.

my comment wasn't aimed at you fella. keeping your gear dry is a pretty straightforward thing nowadays

Comment

It's all good Sd, letting everyone know how I got my gear soaked though.

Photo of 15ltr stuff sack with winter quilt set inside, so people can get a sense of the compression qualities of down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisley Bullet View Post
                    It's all good Sd, letting everyone know how I got my gear soaked though.

Photo of 15ltr stuff sack with winter quilt set inside, so people can get a sense of the compression qualities of down.
                    When you say "winter quilt set" BB, what does that include. top quilt and underquilt ?

Cheers, Paul

Comment

• #11.1
                      Bisley Bullet commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, full set

At a push, you could go a tad smaller if I sat on the bag. You can see in the photo however, the compression sack is at the limit as there is no more strap to pull through.

Comment

Photo of 15ltr stuff sack with winter quilt set inside,
                      I feel it is my responsibilty to report you to the RSPCDG*
                      I cannot find the love in my heart for compression sacks, small rocks don't pack as nice as squishy lumps.

*(Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Downy Goodness)
                      --
                      Gadget
                      watch the things you gave your life to, broken, And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools

Comment

Clamshield
                        Can't decide if this is an insurance policy for bivalves or a chastity belt.

--
                        Gadget

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
                          Can't decide if this is an insurance policy for bivalves or a chastity belt.

LMAO

gotta say i'm not a fan of compression sacks either, mostly i begrudge the extra weight of the straps and buckles
                          I throw mine in bottom of my pack liner and just throw everything on top. I had a quick tenting overnighter the other week and with just a top quilt in the bottom of the bag i swear it took up no space whatsoever

Comment